What we have been reading!!

Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Hot MessHot Mess by Emily Goodwin
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

5 Messy Stars!!!!!

When I read the blurb, I knew that I needed to take a chance with this book. I am so glad that I did! I devoured it! Emily Goodwin rocked my world with this book!

Hot Mess is really a hot mess! Haha... I am laughing at the title because Alexis (Lexi) really is a bit of a hot mess! She is a single mom of two young girls trying to rebuild her life after a divorce. I really loved Lexi. She was totally the mom that you would be friends with in real life. I think that is what sucked me into this story. I really felt like the overall story of Hot Mess could happen. Stories like that are what grab me from page one until the end.

At one point Lexi's friends took her for a night out on the town. She decided to throw who she was out the window for one night and give into her attraction to the hot bartender she ends up flirting with. Can we say one night stand??? Yep...

"... it feels like his fingertips are sweeping over my flesh as his gaze moves. I shiver."
~ Emily Goodwin, Hot Mess

Luke moves from Chicago to New York to escape his life. He decided that living with his brother, Cole, is where he needs to be, for now... Cole makes it clear that Luke is not wanted. In fact he makes it clear that nothing that Luke does in life will be good enough. He simply hates Luke. The dynamics between the brothers is interesting. The author did a great job of making you feel uncomfortable.

If you haven't guessed, Luke is the bartender that Lexi has the one night stand with. The problem??? They both want more than one night. Oh, and Cole is Lexi's BOSS!!! YIKES! Things turn interesting once everything comes out.

"I was drawn to her the moment I saw her, and every minute we spend together solidifies my want for this woman. The fact that she has to girls doesn't change that. If anything, it makes me nervous, and I've never been nervous when pursuing a woman before. But those little girls raise the bar. Not only is Lexi's heart on the line, but theirs too. And that's a lot of f*cking responsibility. I don't want to f*ck this up."
~ Emily Goodwin, Hot Mess

I am going to tell you all right now that Luke is mine!!! I claim him first!!! :) Shhhh.... don't tell my husband...

"Lexi is unlike anyone I've ever met before. She's making me want things I never wanted. I want to keep seeing Lexi. I want to get to know her better, to have her fall for me like I for her. I like this: the house, the dog, and even the kids. I want to keep going, keep seeing each other and growing closer and leaving the past behind me. For good. Never talk about it. Never think about. Never go back. Never bring it up. I was to let it burn. Though I of all people know it's dangerous to play with fire."
~ Emily Goodwin, Hot Mess

So I am going to be honest, the one thing that I hated was that this book has a cliffhanger. I think that authors need to tell us that a book is part of a series. There was no indication that there would be a second book. I am a person who likes to wait for ALL the books to be released and then I will binge read the entire series. That being said, I still loved this book. It was an easy read, hot and sexy, and the characters had depth that captured me.

Twice Burned is the follow up book. It will release March 1st. It needs to be on my kindle RIGHT NOW (please... with sugar on top...). Can it be March yet?!?!?! Please, please, please?!?!

This is my first time reading Emily Goodwin's work and clearly I enjoyed it. I will be exploring more of her work very soon!

Thank you Emily for allowing me to escape and spend some time with these characters. I can't wait for Twice Burned! I really need to know.... Sorry, I will not tell you... You all need to read Hot Mess to find out what I need to know. :)

~ Review written by Heidi Pharo


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment